Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lobstering

I love lobster.  I hate putting them in steaming/boiling water while alive.  That makes me a killer, and I can't stand that.  But it all washes away when I'm sucking sweet lobster meat out of each and every leg the little critter has.  At that point, my shame washes away...until the next time.  I didn't like lobster when I was little - it was frightening looking, and strangely, I never saw my parents eat it, so I refused as well.  But now we all love it.  Can't get enough of it.  I even befriended the CUTEST ol' fisherman at the Orono Farmer's Market.  They don't have a fishman at the Portland Farmer's Market (FYI); I suppose this has to do with being on the ocean already, with plenty of markets around...?

Anyway, I want to work on a lobster boat for a day.  I think I'd like it and be good at it, for the following reasons:
1) I can't smell.  For reals.  I think I would be really great at baiting - whatever that task entails.
2) I feel I should really mask my shame in eating these creatures by being a part of the task from beginning to the bitter, scary end.
3) I'm strong.  I could be useful hauling traps n' such.
4) I talk like a pirate and don't embarrass easily - I think I could "hang" with lobstermen.
5) I'm a Mainer; it just feels right.

So I guess there is a "lobster cruise" (I'm not naming names) that leaves from Portland.  For $25 and 1 1/2 hrs, you get to learn about lobstering and hauling traps.  However, lobsters pulled up are not given to you, but rather purchased for boat price.  Which I'm sure is a good deal, but to pay for the opportunity to pull up traps too?  C'mon.  So I need to find someone that might be willing to let me work on their boat for a day in exchange for some crustacean friends :)  I need ideas for how to make this happen - friends of friends of friends?  Hang around the old port in hopes of spotting a lobsterman?  Go further and hang around the DOCKS?!  I just don't know - has anyone tried this?

Please advise!

No comments:

Post a Comment