Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Whoa, too long!

SO much has happened in the last week or so!  I had to finish up with my "adult job" while juggling the start of summer vacation!!  I now know that teachers look forward to summer vacation more than students do.
Let's start with a new restaurant.  Sebago Brewing Company.  I'm not sure if it counts, but for now it does.  I've actually been to the old Sebago a few times, but a group of us girls went to the NEW Sebago last week, and it was lovely.  Despite confusing our server a little at the end, our meals were delicious (better than I had at the old Sebago...), beverages were super, and I actually found decent parking!

Next, let's cover my first State Park of the year: Kettle Cove!  This adorable cove fits right between Two Lights and Crescent beach, and is used to launch commercial fishing boats.  Parking is great (I take that back, parking is terrible, awful, DON'T GO!!!), there are CLEAN outhouses, and a cute boardwalk to take you around the perimeter of the beach easily.  And because it's a cove, waves are barely noticeable and the water is tolerable.  Anyone who has been to Sand Beach in Acadia Nat'l Park knows that wide open Atlantic waters are CHILLY!!
 And while at Kettle Cove, I started my first book of the summer - The Hunger Games.  I was HOOKED immediately!  And I have since finished the first one, and I am 275 pages into the second one!  It feels a little bit like cheating, because they are young adult books, but they are SOOO good; I don't care.  In fact, I'd rather be reading instead of writing this blog write now.  Please don't hold it against me...  So one book down, four to go!

AND, I've been to Peak's Island!  On Saturday, after the Warrior Dash (http://warriordash.com/register2011_new_england.php), we made our own dash for the Peaks Island Ferry.  Becky and I did not anticipate the Lobster Festival crowd or parking hazard... so at 7:07 the kindest man in Portland gave up his parking spot for us, and we ran to the ticket office and then to the 7:15 ferry...and made it.
We had a lovely lobster dinner with the girls, and Sunday morning Becky and I went into town early to have a proper look around...
 Vehicles don't get to leave Peaks Island very often...
 But they obviously have great taste in music...
 Looks a little sketchy, but it has a playground...
 It's really hard to tell, but this house is pink, with heart trim all over it.  And there was a guy on the back deck...wearing a pink shirt.  Puke.
 Not enough time this time around, but I'll be back to the Cockeyed Gull, with my Buffalo eye.
 This guy MUST be a REAL Maine Ship Captain!  That beard means business.
 Maybe his boat?
And these photos are from our lovely ferry ride back after our Reggae afternoon. 
 Little Diamond Island.

 Eastern Promenade.
And Portland Harbor!!


So to recap: Did some reading, eating at a 'newish' restaurant, crossed Peaks Island off my list, and hit a State Park!  I also did some photo editing for the Tour de Cure...here's a sneak peak...

2 comments:

  1. great pictures! i'm at sebago in gorham right now, and yes i consider it a new place (to me).

    peaks island - still haven't done it.

    reggae cruise on july 23rd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably no Reggae cruise for me...I will probably be working!!

    ReplyDelete