Sunday, June 19, 2011

Maine Made products

So one of my goals is to pay more attention to my photo business.  Today has revolved around just that!  A few weeks ago, my friend's mom took a liking to my photos and asked for cards to stock in her antique booth in a tourist town.  I am gladly obliging!!  I want to take a moment though to showcase what goes into making a photo card, because sometimes, folks forget what happens behind the scenes when you pick up a homemade item.  I do get my photos printed for me, and get my cards shipped to me, so other than those steps, we'll start at the beginning.

Step 1: Choose the photos to work with at this time.  I chose 61 photos (some duplicates) to work with today.
Step 2: Methodically put stickies on the back of each photo, making sure the tabs hang off the end of the card for easy removal.
After taking each backing off, affix to the card. Rinse and repeat 60 more times.
Step 3: Handwrite on the back of each card business name, email address, and where the photo was taken.
This was a self portrait, FYI. 
Sometimes it's really nice to pile the cards together because they look so nice.  Or maybe this is to help you visualize them all...


Step 4: Stuff an envelope inside the card, 61 times.
Step 5: Stuff the card/envelope combination into a clear envelope - for their own protection - 61 times.

Step 6: Rip off plastic to reveal sticky stuff (professional term) to seal the envelope. 61 times.
Voila, almost done!  The last part of the day was Step 7: Set up the display...

And that's that.  It took all day (I may have been watching a movie or sitting in the sun for some of the time), but since I'm sick, I had the time...
So next time you pick up a homemade (Maine) item, remember how many steps - though simple and tedious - someone had to go through to arrive at a finished product.

And feel free to check out my website: www.hbarberphotography.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment