Monday, December 26, 2011

Be a Pescetarian for 30 days - DONE!

I am actually really looking forward to this one!!  I'm not sure when I will start, but I'll be sure to share dinners/recipes when I do!

1/13/12 - I believe this will endeavor will begin on January 26th.  January 25th is, of course, Burnsie Night - the Scottish holiday celebrating Robert Burns.  In true tradition, Haggis should be consumed on Burnsie night, and thus an excellent springboard for giving up animal meat for 30 days :)

1/27/12 - Today was day two of no meat - so far so good!

2/3/12 - Today is day nine, and this week has been DIFFICULT!!  On Monday, Becky made tacos.  I can't resist taco-seasoned ground turkey.  But I HAD TO!  It looked great but I cooked up a tilapia filet and had fish tacos instead!  SUCCESS.  But Tuesday brought a Chili Cook-off fundraiser for my ASB students.  10 chilis, only ONE of them was vegetarian.  They looked SOOO GOOD!  I would have been all over that, except for my challenge...  So veggie chili it was, and it saved my night!  I stayed over with the Carlsons and they made me a breakfast sandwich with delicious-looking canadian bacon.  So Teal got extra.  Wednesday night I made shrimp, scallop, and broccoli risotto for dinner (leftovers for lunch Thursday).  Thursday night provided an array of pizzas (including pepperoni), but I stuck to CHEESE only.  Alas, I'm sticking to it, but this week provided challenges... 21 days to go!

2/18/12 - I only have a week to go.  Next Saturday I can eat meat again.  What will be first, you ask?  Recently bacon has been my weakness.  I had a dream about a bacon cheeseburger flubbing this whole thing up.  I tried to steal avocado off Ian's salad from Good Life Market this week...the bottom side was COVERED IN BACON!  I did manage to steal a couple of his chili and cheese covered fries...but it came down to me wiping a piece of hamburg off the fry...  This is hard.  I'm not all that crazy about beef, or chicken really, but the fact that I have to make conscious decisions anytime I try to eat something is really difficult.  This was certainly a challenge.  I tried to make risotto the other night and discovered that they had "dehydrated chicken" in the ingredients.  UGH.  And to top it off today,  I went to Bintliff's with friends (new and old) and got the eggs benedict but without Canadian bacon and I asked for smoked salmon instead.  The waitress wasn't sure if the kitchen would allow it...I begged "I can't eat meat right now; it would mean so much to me!"  Thankfully upon her return she said they would do it, THIS TIME, but not to expect it everytime (though I'm pretty sure I get it 9 times out of 10).  So I wrote them a note to express my gratitude, obviously.  This has all been so tricky, and certainly made cooking a meal for 9 people, me who couldn't eat meat and guests that don't eat seafood, a super challenge.  But we made pasta with either a red sauce with turkey meat balls, or a homemade white sauce with shrimp and broccoli - and you could choose which you'd like (or both, Ian).  So tonight is pizza at flatbread - hello cheese and veggies.  Hopefully when I go home this weekend mom won't make chili again (last time I went she made chili, but offered to add the meat to hers after I got mine, which would leave tomatoes and beans, of which I don't eat tomatoes)... These temptations are certainly winning!

3/5/12 - February 24th was my last day as a Pescatarian!!  And I went out in a righteous way: Lobster and Scallops from Free Range on Commercial St.  LOVE!!  And the next morning, I ATE BACON!!  The re-integration of meat has NOT gone so well...  But I'm working on that, still!

No comments:

Post a Comment