Monday, December 26, 2011

Finish typing my Grandfather's letters - DONE!

I have NOT worked on this, aside from having the letters in my possession.  Maybe I will spend a few vacation hours on Thursday doing this!

1/2/2012 - I spent some time typing up another letter...I think I might actually scan them instead.  There is a beauty of his typewriter typed letters that is lost in my typed transcription.  I was feeling nostalgic today and wanted to share with you a photo of my Grandfather's childhood home in Portland on Highland Street.
 This is where DKA wrote most of his letters to MNM during their courtship years.  The house suffered a serious fire, but was restored much like the previous structure.  And it was yellow when he was a kid, too.  So this is to help you picture where he sat and wrote to her.
This is the letter I was working on today... So many to go!

Here are some quotes from earlier letters:
12/10/46: It was rather odd that you and I should “fit” so well on the dance floor.  It seemed almost as though we were born to dance together.

1/6/1947:  You are fifteen hundred miles away.  That does not mean that our hearts cannot be one, that they cannot be in tune.  More than anything else I want to grow with you.  I want my thoughts to be your thoughts.  And I want it the other way around too.  
 
1/27/1947: The quietness which surrounds the two of us is broken only by the dripping of raindrops on the snow three stories below.  Yes, at this time of day you and I are one.  ...    And because I haven’t seen visions of the future I know that at last I have found the woman with whom I choose to raise children; with whom I choose to live an abundant life and with whom, if God sees fit, I will be blest with happiness through giving to her my love.

 He was truly a beautiful writer; full of admiration for her until his death in 1996. 


1/16/12 - Today I finished SCANNING each and every letter that we have (mostly in chronological order...).  I am not too sure what to do with them now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment